Re: managing multiple ISPs

> I am currently in the process of evaluating a new ISP. The problem I am
> having is with the nameserver settings in /etc/resolv.conf.

Ok.

> Currently there are two entries in /etc/resolv.conf for my present ISP
> (Interlog).
>
> Should I just add the nameserver entries for the new ISP to this
> /etc/resolv.conf file ? Will it take longer for hostnames to be resolved
> since there are now 4 entries in the /etc/resolv.conf but only two of them
> are "valid" depending on which ISP I am connecting to/from ??

it shouldn't take any longer, but there is a program on Freshmeat
(http://freshmeat.net if you don't know what it is) called DNRD that does
exactly what you're looking for.

> On a related note: I am using XEmacs+VM as my mail reader. Is there any
> emacs package to handle multiple email profiles ?

> I need to switch between different smtp servers

Simple: be your own SMTP server.  I've been doing for a year (with my ISP,
and, now that I've moved on-campus to the university, right now) with no
ill effects.  You don't necessariy need to set it up to deliver mail to
your machine, just to deliver to other machines.

> different POP login IDs, and user/reply-to addresses and was wondering
> if either XEmacs or VM can somehow handle this for me ?

I haven't a clue is VM can do that (I don't use VM), but the latest Pine
certainly does.  Pine, however, isn't an option for some people.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein