Re: How do I tell Debian database about a program?

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Ray Schultz wrote:
> A friend and myself are setting up a Debian server for our LUG.
> It is based on 2.1.  Except my friend wanted to custom compile
> Apache to do some automatic module loading.
>
> My question is what command do I use to let the Debian Database
> know that Apache has been installed but not with a deb package?

You should create/install an empty package that has in the control
file "Provides: apache, apache-doc, apache-whatever..."

But be warned that other packages that depend on Apache may depend on
a particular feature or directory locations within the debian package
of Apache.

> Am I correct to be concerned about this?  My system needs to
> know that a program like Apache has been installed in order to
> keep the libraries updated when it comes time to upgrade to Potato?

You really only need to be concerned if you want to install a package
that depends on apache. But if you're compiling apache you
probably want to compile those modules as well. Upgrading to potato
shouldn't provide any problems with user-compiled software (except
possible glibc 2.0.x->2.1.x problems) and apt-get won't upgrade a
package you don't already have installed unless you want to install
that depends on it, thus the suggestion above.

--
Ashley Clark