How do I tell Debian database about a program?

Hello all,

How do I tell Debian database about a program?

A friend and myself are setting up a Debian server for our LUG.
It is based on 2.1.  Except my friend wanted to custom compile
Apache to do some automatic module loading.

My question is what command do I use to let the Debian Database
know that Apache has been installed but not with a deb package?

Am I correct to be concerned about this?  My system needs to
know that a program like Apache has been installed in order to
keep the libraries updated when it comes time to upgrade to Potato?

Right?

Later,
Ray