Re: manual kernel recompile vs make-kpkg

On 28 Oct 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Charles" == Charles Lewis <lewisc@swau.edu> writes:
>
>  Charles> And what would be the equivalent steps for doing the same
>  Charles> thing using make-kpkg? After reading the man pages, I'm not
>  Charles> sure what options I should use or what the resulting deb
>  Charles> would be.
>
>         Please have a look at /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz, which
>  tries to be a tutorial for using make-kpkg. (shmeless plug: I am
>  including the current list of pros and cons of using kernel-package
>  below).
>
>         manoj

[valuable text smipped]

Thanks for posting this, which answers a question I'd long wondered
about. I think I shall continue with the manual configuration for the
moment, a. because I'm used to it, and b. because I get quite a few of
the advantages you list by using loadlin.exe on a small DOS partition,
where I also store my previous kernels. I can thus revert to an earlier
kernel simply by changing a line in a .bat file. Buh this was a very
useful post; in fact, it ought to be available on the official Debian
site (perhaps it is?).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux - Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.pentelikon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky." - Louis MacNeice