manual kernel recompile vs make-kpkg

Warning: newbie question...

I have been able to recompile the kernel successfully a few times, but I'm
not sure what all is going on, and whether I am doing it the best way or
not. Here is an example of what I do when I update the kernel:

Install debian kernel source using dselect (not sure how to do patches)
cd /usr/src
tar zxpvf kernel-source-2.2.12.tar.gz
cd kernel-source-2.2.12

make menuconfig (or xconfig)
make dep (make clean??)
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.12/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12
rm /vmlinuz
ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12 /vmlinuz
(I learned the hard way that when I copied bzImage directly to /vmlinuz, I
was overwriting the previous kernel in /boot)

Now, my question is, is what I do above pretty much what everyone else does?
And what would be the equivalent steps for doing the same thing using
make-kpkg? After reading the man pages, I'm not sure what options I should
use or what the resulting deb would be. This is what I've been able to glean
so far:

make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean??
make-kpkg --revision 1.0 --bzimage kernel_image
dpkg -i ???

Another question is what exactly is the difference between bzimage and
zimage, and which one should I be using?

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc@swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952