Re: Running MySQL not as 'root'

Pere Camps <pere@casal.upc.es> writes:

> 	Debian doesn't even create the user 'mysql'. I think I can
> remember Red Hat doing that. Of course I've created it for the testing
> MySQL.

What about the mysql-server.preinst script then?:

[...]
# creating mysql group if he isn't already there
if ! grep -q ^mysql: /etc/group; then
	echo Adding system group: mysql.
	addgroup mysql
fi

# creating mysql user if he isn't already there
if ! grep -q ^mysql: /etc/passwd; then
	echo Adding system user: mysql.
	adduser --system --ingroup mysql --home /var/lib/mysql mysql
fi
[...]

(living in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ as all the Debian install scripts do)

Debian is continuously perfecting these install scripts, which is one
of the main superiorities over other distributions.

Greetings,
joachim