Re: Clock problems

On 27 Oct 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:
>     AC> Have you got APM compiled in the kernel? I was getting this problem
>     AC> and it took me several days to find out that APM was resetting the
>     AC> time (and date).
>
> I have the following APM options compiled into my 2.2.12 kernel:
>
>   CONFIG_APM=y
>   CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
>   CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
>
> and my clock seems to be losing time. Its much slower however, I have lost
> about 2 minutes in about 2 weeks. Not sure if its the system or hardware
> clock. How do I check ??
>
> Also, why would APM reset the time and date ?
>
> Also, does rebooting the system have any effect on the timekeeping system
> ??
>
> I poweroff/shutdown my debian system at home when I go the work in the
> morning and I turn it on when I get home. I leave it powered up all weekend
> however.

I think this is your problem. Look at the help section for APM in
kernel menuconfig; it says there that it resets the clock when you
reboot (don't ask me why). Try recompiling the kernel without APM and
see what happens.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux - Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.pentelikon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky." - Louis MacNeice