Re: Good News Reader?

* Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

> I tried S O m, and it inserts all messages into the
> one rfc822 sub-part, with a short description at the top.

> I don't think this is valid rfc822, which AFAIK:
[...]
> Does Gnus support Maildir format? Not that I could see, but
> perhaps I was looking at an out-of-date version.

Hmm, sorry, two questions for the Gnus newsgroup or someone else.
Usually, Lars and the other Gnus gurus know their RFCs very well, so
I´m a bit surprised. Maybe my method isn´t the right one...

> Hopefully these features will soon be added to PGnus...

Then hurry, a release is maybe not too far away (not days, rather
weeks; just like Debian now :-).

> Oh..., BTW..., is there anyway to save a list of messages to *a* mbox
> file? I tried marking messages with '#', and the pushing C-o, but Gnus
> asked me for each message what file I wanted to save it to...

Hmm. At least, it *appends*, and doesn´t overwrite. I guess that
would need a (user-)function.

> Apart from these problems, PGnus seems to be very good. I might even try
> to free up enough disk space on this computer, so I can install it ;-)

> Another question: When does Gnus delete messages that have expired?
> Obviously, it can't delete them if you not currently running PGnus, but
> does it do it when it first loads? When you enter and/or leave a group?
> Or when? I tried to find this in the documentation, but couldn't.

  (remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook
               'gnus-summary-expire-articles)

That belongs to the setting below and seems to suggest that having
it on the hook function for exiting the summary is the default.

  ;;* Do the expiry every time I've been idle for more than 30 minutes
  ;;*================================
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 30 30)

You can of course hook gnus-summary-expire-articles to any other
hook. To see what hooks are there:

  C-h a gnus.*hook

I´d call that a wealth ;-)

As a warning, that sentence from the manual:
| If you use adaptive scoring (@pxref{Adaptive Scoring}) and
| auto-expiring, you'll have problems.  Auto-expiring and adaptive scoring
| don't really mix very well.

I´m using total-expire.

HTH,
  Colin