Re: your mail

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Kapten _rock wrote:

> I have a question for you:
>
> HOW DO I MOUNT CDROM AND FLOPPY IN LINUX!!!!?:)
>
> and a dont knoe if i have master or slave cdrom drive?

I have the following lines in /etc/fstab (among others):

/dev/hdc        /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,user,noauto,ro 0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    defaults,user,noauto    0       0

The option 'user' allowes normal users (and not only root) to
mount/unmount these devices, 'noauto' prevents that these are mounted on
boot time...

After that, mount the cdrom/floppy with

  mount /cdrom        or    mount /floppy

respectively and unmount them with

  unmount /cdrom      or    umount /floppy

You will find the files then in the directories /cdrom resp. /floppy.

Which device the cdrom is, you can see at boottime, when you read the
messages the kernel displays, e.g. on my system it is /dev/hdc

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 09
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcf0-0xfcf7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfcf8-0xfcff, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: IBM-DADA-25120, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SANYO CRD-S372B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: IBM-DADA-25120, 4887MB w/460kB Cache, CHS=662/240/63, UDMA
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache

(You can redisplay these messages later after boot with

  dmesg | less
)

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de