Re: Fw: help for pointers

you can use weblogs.. in apache i use this:

CustomLog /path/to/www-access.log combined

so a virtual host directive (for me) looks like:

<VirtualHost 208.222.179.35>
ServerAdmin webmaster@aphroland.org
DocumentRoot /users/virtual/aphroland.org
ServerName www.aphroland.org
ErrorLog /users/virtual/aphroland.org/www-error.log
CustomLog /users/virtual/aphroland.org/www-access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

which outputs very detailed information in the logs:

141.64.14.110 - - [26/Oct/1999:07:16:10 -0700] "GET
/linuxbanners/linux12.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 14515
"http://yahoo.aphroland.org/OperatingSystems/Windows/WindowsCE/"; "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows NT)"

if you want to use this for bandwidth tracking, you may want to place the
logs in a directory that the user can't access so they can't delete em
:)  a better solution, but does nto appear to work for virtual hosts, is
ipac, the IP accounting package, i could onnly get it to work on physical
interfaces though (like eth0 not eth0:1) i may of had broken IPAC rules
though i didn't play with it for long.

after you set the logs up you can setup a stats program like webalizer to
analize the logs and output html (like http://webstats.aphroland.org)

hope this helps!

nate