Re: Creative Labs SoundBlaster AWE64 question

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 10:55:44AM +0000, Jonathan Heaney wrote:

> Just a thought, but is it an Awe64 Value?  If so, the ram is only 512k.  I seem to
> remember somewhere in the distant past something about the Awe driver sometimes not
> getting the ram size right.
>
> This part you uncommented -
>
> #define AWE_DEFAULT_BASE_ADDR   0x620   /* base port address */
> #define AWE_DEFAULT_MEM_SIZE    4096    /* kbytes */
>
> Try replacing the 4096 with 512?
>
> Unless you are sure you have 4096k..... otherwise, I'd suggest trying the latest kernel
> (2.2.13), or at least a newer one that comes with 0.4.3 Awe drivers built-in.
>
> Probably not related, your isapnp.conf settings look OK but I had to put a line
> (VERIFYLD N)
> above the readport part at the top.
>
> ***Ah, having read your dmesg output (properly, this time!), I think I can see what the
> problem is.  You've compiled the AWE driver straight in to the kernel.  For an isapnp
> card, you have to do ALL of the sound stuff as modules - including the low-level one and
> the Awe driver.  Then run modconf to load them, passing the correct parameters to each
> (only sb and opl3 modules need parameters).
>
> Tacking on the Awe driver to the 2.0.whatever kernel that comes with Debian is not ideal,
> get the latest kernel and use it.
>
> Jonathan.
>

> --

Thanks for the help.  I went and looked at the potato dist.  It has
the raplayer and such as well.  I need those as well.  So..... I'm
downloading the dist at present and will install it where I used
to have Redhat.  (Being new, don't want to mess up what passes
for a functional system. ) Hopefully potato isn't as bad as the
warnings in the README's and posts indicate. :)

Cliff

--
Cliff