Re: trashing Netscape (was Netscape 4.71 Is Rock Solid & Fast!)

Pann McCuaig wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 16:17, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > You might not be using Netscape extensively enough to trigger the bugs.
> >
> > Maybe usage pattern differences are something to explore.
> >
> > Do you (and others):
> > - - have Java enabled?
> Yup.
> > - - have Javascript enabled?
> Yup.
> > - - typically open just one or two windows or open many?
> One or two, sometimes as many as four.
> > - - have just a few bookmarks or a big, messy pile (like, say, 2000 of them)
> >   you'll never quite get sorted?
> Not 2000, maybe 100.
> > - - open a lot of windows using "open in new window" (middle mouse button)?
> Nope.
>
> > Please check this one for me (I don't see how this can be anything other
> > than a Netscape bug, but if it is something else, I'd like to know):
> >
> > On any Unix (X11) version of Communicator:
> Alas, I use only Navigator, not the whole Communicator package.
> > - - open the bookmarks window
> > - - click on a bookmark to select it
> > - - open the bookmark properties window (via the right-click menu)
> > - - leaving the bookmark properties window open,
> > - - click on a separator in the bookmarks window
> > - - click on some other bookmark window entry
> >
> > Does Communicator crash with a bus error??
> Nope, works just fine -- I can click until I'm blue in the face and
> Netscape (Navigator) just keeps on truckin'.
>
> I'm not suggesting that Netscape is bug free, but it sounds to me like
> you're on a mission to stress test it to failure. Why 2000 bookmarks for
> heaven's sake? How many Netscape windows is it useful to have open at
> once?
>
> Other things I'd look at: What window manager are you using? Does
> Netscape give you fits under several different window managers? What
> other tasks are running? What does top tell you about your resources?
> Etc., etc.

I use Communicator, not just Navigator; perhaps that's the clue.
The test that Daniel suggested crashed my Netscape. I've tried
running with and without Java/Javascript. I can expect Netscape
to crash at least once every time I sit down at the computer (two
or three times a day for 1 to 3 hours a day).

Come to think of it; this is on my home machine. My office
machine doesn't have Netscape crashes near as often. Hmmm.