Re: trashing Netscape (was Netscape 4.71 Is Rock Solid & Fast!)

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 21:28, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> > From: Adam Shand <larry@alaska.net>
>

> >if you are running a system
> > with libc5 or glibc 2.0 you are fine and won't have any problems with
> > netscape.
>
> No, no, no.  Netscape can be just as horribly unstable on glibc 2.0
> systems.  I know.  I suffer from it every day.

I hate to rain on your parade, but LOTS of people run Netscape 4.5 and
4.6 with libc 2.0 systems without difficulty. In my last job I had 20+
users doing so, and many of them were HEAVY users of Netscape.

You should probably look at the bigger picture instead of just trashing
netscape all the time.

  6:45pm  up 33 days,  2:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

This, for example, is a pretty straightforward slink system and it's
been up since the last time I had to boot into Windoze for some sorry
reason, and I'd guess Netscape has been running 90% of that time, and
has only been shut down and restarted perhaps 4 times. I do that from
time to time because I only have 32MB on this box and if Netscape
renders much Java I end up swapping like crazy.

ii  glibc-doc       2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: Documentation
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: Development libraries and hea
ii  navigator-base- 4.5-1          Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (bas
ii  navigator-nethe 4.5-1          Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (run
ii  navigator-smoti 4.5-1          Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (ful
ii  netscape-base-4 5              Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (bas
ii  netscape-base-4 4.5-1          Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (bas
ii  netscape-java-4 4.5-1          Popular World-Wide-Web browser software (jav

Obviously, YMMV, but I think it's something other than Netscape giving
you fits, even though the symptoms are Netscape crashes.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\