Re: Looking for monitor sync settings

jh wrote:

> Sorry to keep posting on this subject. I have tried about 35 different
> combinations in xf86config, but I still cannot find what the monitor needs.
> Every time I run xf86config and then do startx I get a screen with screwed,
> flickering and unreadable characters. My monitor is a Micron m14fg
>
> During xf86config it says that I may find info on my monitor by reading
> /usr/doc/xserver-common/monitors.gz I do not know how to look at this file.
I use MidNight Commander as my main tool for working on this type of
problem. It will decompress most of the known types of files from the
file manager screen and allow you to view most anything inside.If you
have not installed it, do so, it will be your friend :-)

> I have run many searches on the internet including all over Micron's site
> but can find no info on this monitor. Also, Micron's tech department has
> not e-mailed me back. Does anybody have any suggestions?
 I would start by trying the vga server if it is a monitor more than 4
years old, or if you are not sure. If XF86Setup runs at all it is an
indication that it will run in vga mode. If you are reasonably sure that
it is an svga monitor then select vga in the settings for XF86Setup.
This will get you a basic system running using the defaults. I also
reccommend using a range of frequencies, in the settings, rather than
trying to hit the exact one. This is OK and works safer than possibly
burning out the screen.
Try setting "HorizSync  30.00 60.00" and "VertRefresh  50.00 71.00"
these are pretty basic.
Hope this helps.
-
John Foster