Winbond-based generic NICs

Hi all -

  I'm doing some superhero work here, rescuing fellow students from the
Gates of hell and introducing them to sweet, brand GNU, true freedom.

  Trouble is, on this one machine I can't get the NIC driver to load :(.

  It has a winbond chip in it, and it's supposed to be 'ne2k compatible,'
but the ne2k-pci module won't load. I get some of the more common module

  My question is this: does anyone know what to do about not-quite ne2000
clones (PCI) that won't probe? the card's plug and play, and the kernel sees
it -- a cat of /proc/pci lists the NIC loud and clear, including IRQ and
base I/O address.

  Any help would be appreciated ;)

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..