Re: segmentation faults

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 08:39:19PM +0000, John wrote:
> Have been unable to find any definition and write-up on
> 'segmentation faults'. I have encountered this whilst trying
> a package installation as part of the learning process -
> the matter is not critical, but nontheless I would like to
> understand what is involved in case I meet this error
> when it is important.

Basically it means the program tried to access memory it doesn't have
access to. The kernel will see this happen, and kill the program (by
sending it a SIGSEGV signal (SEGV = segment violation)).

I'm sure someone else can give you a better description that mine. :-)

> Could anyone please point me towards a source of
> information suitable to a novice.

I can't think of anything off-hand, sorry...

--
[ Matthew Gregan ]       [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]       [ kinetik@ihug.co.nz ]
[ GPG fingerprint:    FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]