Re: Why isn't my ftp working?

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 10:02:54AM -0400, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> When I put together my potato partition, I noticed that I was no longer
> able to ftp to my machine.  I actually wasn't able to do much.  But
> I copied my slink config files over, and that helped most services.  So
> could someone tell me where ftpd starts from?  And, is there any
> encrypted ftpd that I can use, other than kftp?

About 2-3 weeks ago, ftpd was split out of netbase. If you upgraded your
install of potato sometime after then, you won't have ftpd anymore.

You can reinstall that particular ftpd (the one from netbase) by
installing the ftpd package. Or you can go with something else, like
wu-ftpd* or proftpd, depending on your needs.

As for where ftpd starts from, it's normally started by inetd when it's
needed. Check out /etc/inetd.conf and look for an entry containing ftpd.

--
[ Matthew Gregan ]       [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]       [ kinetik@ihug.co.nz ]
[ GPG fingerprint:    FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]