boot and shutown both suddenly getting delayed

I've suddenly started experiencing long delays in both boot and
shutdown. During boot it gets as far as "mounting local file systems...
not mounted anything". It then pauses for several minutes before finally
continuing, after which the system seems to work normally.

On running shutdown, it proceeds as far as "sending the KILL message"
after which it again pauses for several minutes before continuing.

The other symptom is that after all this the date gets set back to 1 Jan
1990.

I know this is very bizarre; can anyone syggest what could have
happened? I haven't changed any files that I can think of.

If nothing else seems to work I may contemplate reinstalling to a free
area of the hard disk, but that seems rather extreme.  Would it be worth
recompiling the kernel in case it's become corrupt?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux - Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.pentelikon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky." - Louis MacNeice