Re: EXIM settings for dialup.

Ronald Tin wrote:

> Not sure if I should post here (but I'm running exim on a debian :)
>
> So, I have a Debian unstable running exim 3.03, connecting to the
> Internet through PPP without fixed IP. I have configured exim to
> use "smarthost"(*) to send mail, performing address rewrite like
> this:
>
>   vamp@dreamland csthf99@alumni.ust.hk Ffr
>
> And can send mail just fine (or else you can't see this)
> However there is something stupid when I send mail to myself:
> Address rewrite is performed even for local deliveries.
> How can I disable this?
> I guess I should disable address rewrite for everything
> inside the directors. But... how?
> Or am I plain wrong?
> Should I disable address rewrites for everything, and
> enable them only for the routers instead?
>
> *) In fact I have more than one router. The smarthost router
> runs only if the sender is me.
> I does this through
> condition = "${if eq {$sender_address}{csthf99@alumni.ust.hk} {yes}fail}"
>
> It works fine but is less then clean. Are there better configuration
> options for this? From what I read in the spec this is the best?
>
> ( And that I am subscribed to the digest instead. Do I get
>   every single post, including this one and follow-ups for it? )
>
> --

I had to do this myself, I got this info. from Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)

(in /etc/exim.conf):

# Main Configuration Settings

qualify_domain = alumni.ust.hk
  "hem.passagen.se" is my email ISP, and without this
  they wouldn't let me relay mail through their server.

qualify_recipient = localhost
  This is necessary so you can do "mail vamp"
 and receive the mail directly without going through the ISP.
  The new mail will have "To: vamp@localhost" but still
  "From: Ronald Tin <alumni.ust.hk>" where the latter was
  rewritten by the local MTA.

local_domains = localhost
  If you use eximconfig to generate a smarthost setup, it is possible
  that your smarthost will be included here. But it shouldn't.

Sorry for the plagiraism, Oskar, but you knew how to fix it....

Jonathan