Re: Can't boot from floppies - HELP!

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jake Griesbach <griesbac@gamera.colorado.edu>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org, debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: Can't boot from floppies - HELP!
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:18:53 -0600 (MDT)

I'm trying to boot from the Debian rescue disk to install linux for the
first time.  I have an adaptec AIC-7890 scsi card, so I was typing

linux aix7xxx

to boot.
After the kernel loads, I get the following after the scsi driver loads:

sda: sda1, sda2
sdb: sdb1
[MS-DOS FS Rel. ...
[me=0x0, ...
Transactions block size = 512
***********************

Hey Jake...

Just out of curiosity, where did the disks come from, and what kind of partition have you got on your hard disks now?

On your Debian CD, or an FTP site, there should be a folder called Install (on my cd..) or something like that... (it is accessible from dos/win)...If your computer supports booting from the CD, I recommend that you do that.

Otherwise, in the Install folder, there's a bunch of files, and some documents on how to make the boot floppy used for installation...

If you are using those disks, then here's another idea... Make you a Dos, or Windows Boot Disk, then, from windows, copy the following files off of the install folder on the CDROM (ftpsite..) onto the floppy:

boot.bat
linux
root.bin
loadlin.exe

Then boot off of your Dos/Windows boot disk, and then insert the disk that you put the listed files on... then run the boot.bat file.... Try that and see what happend ;)

Hope This Helps,

Brant Wells
(dafyre@nlamerica.com)

ps: Anyone reading this, please correct me, if there's an easier way to do this (grin)... Brant