I messed up my resolution.

Is there a way to keep debian from trying to start x at start up? I messed
up the resolution and can't read anything. I think MS products sometimes
use F8. How about debian? Is there any other way to get to the command line
and re-run xf86config? I tried using my boot disk, but this too tried to
start x. I got into this trouble because I do not know my systems settings.
It is a vga monitor. I thought I set the resolution quite low. Thank you
for any help you can give.

Jeff