Re: I messed up my resolution.

On 21/10/99 jh wrote:

Is there a way to keep debian from trying to start x at start up? I messed
up the resolution and can't read anything. I think MS products sometimes
use F8. How about debian? Is there any other way to get to the command line
and re-run xf86config? I tried using my boot disk, but this too tried to
start x. I got into this trouble because I do not know my systems settings.
It is a vga monitor. I thought I set the resolution quite low. Thank you
for any help you can give.

at lilo

boot: linux single

that will get you to single user mode where you should be able to run the X configurator if not then cd into /etc/rc2.d and mv SXXYdm to KXXYdm then X will not start automatically for runlevel 2. then you can boot normally without X.

I think you could also mv your /etc/XF86Config somewhere else temporarily so that the startup scripts think that X is unconfigured and forgo starting it.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/