Laptop works... sort of

A couple weeks ago, I finally got a chance to install Debian on my laptop,
a UMax ActionBook 320T.  It works, more or less, but a number of problems
remain:

1)  Power management control #1 - APM seems to kick in at random intervals.
Sometimes the machine will sit for 5-10 minutes without going to standby,
other times it'll blink off within 5-10 seconds.  How can I set the amount of
time it waits?

2)  Power management control #2 - APM is just as likely to suspend/standby
when plugged in as when running from battery.  I've installed the potato deb
of apmd and the apmd_proxy script includes code which looks like (and the
comments say) it should reject system suspend/standby requests when AC power
is present, but it doesn't.  The apmd-list archives mentioned setting (IIRC)
SUSPEND_ON_AC to false, but didn't say anything about where to make the
setting.  (In the apmd source?  Kernel source?  User environment?)  The
apmd_proxy script doesn't look at any such value, but just calls a shell
script named on_ac_power.

3)  Refresh rates:  I've got X running on the laptop, but the screen makes a
high-pitched whine in X.  I doubt that it's harmful to the screen, but I find
it very obnoxious.  Given that UMax tech support won't give out refresh rates
(the only reason anyone asks for them is because they're installing Linux and
UMax doesn't support non-Windows OSes), what can I do (other than blindly
guessing) about tuning the refresh rates to eliminate the whine?

4)  PCMCIA hangs:  I've got PCMCIA services working, with the exception that
I have to power cycle the machine after running Windows.  If I do a soft
reboot from Windows into Linux, it locks up solid when it tries to load the
PCMCIA module.  Any suggestions other than "don't warm boot from Windows to
Linux"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...