ssh/ftp

All of a sudden I am unable to ssh or ftp into my linux box from my windows
box. I recently upgraded a couple of things, primarily libc6. Truth by told
I can ssh into my linux box but ssh takes about 30+seconds to connect. Ftp
doesn't work full stop. That is unless, I first telnet to my uni account on
a uni box, then ssh or ftp (both work) back to my linux box. If I look what
processes are running as I connect, the relevant processes do fire up but
then after so many seconds the connection just times out.
Can anyone make any suggestions as to what could be wrong.

Thanks in advance
Richard