Data Aquisition Cards?

A shot in the dark.
What are people using with temperature sensors, oxygen probes, etc.,
on linux systems?  Where can I find an IEEE488 card, cheap?

I have been thinking about these things for years, and I have a couple
hundred bucks to buy some hardware to enhance my science classroom,
but haven't a clue where to start.  Apple was using the 1eee488 years
ago.  Why can't I find a simple, cheap PCI ieee488 card?

I apologize, if (as it probably is) this is off-topic...

Alan

--
adavis@netpci.com

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."            ---Lord Raleigh