PCMCIA modem not identified

I'm running Potato on a Toshiba Tecra 700CT.  I've compiled a 2.2.12
kernel and the PCMCIA modules using kernel package.  The system seems to
work fine, except it no longer recognizes my PCMCIA card modem.  When I
insert the card I get a low beep than a high beep and it loads the
memory_cs module (instead of the serial_cs module).  When I check
/var/run/stab the card is identified as "Anonymous Memory."  I've added
an entry for the modem in /etc/pcmcia/config and it doesn't help.  The
modem is a Megahertz XJ2288 V.34 Fax Modem.

What I did to install the PCMCIA support was:
download pcmcia-cs.tar.gz to /usr/src
unpack it -- automatically unpacks in /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs
after making the kernal image, used make-kpkg [revision name]
modules_image
after moving the modules from the previous kernel to a different
directory, installed the pcmcia-modules .deb

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard