Re: PCMCIA modem not identified

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 01:59:21PM -0400, Richard Weil wrote:

> I'm running Potato on a Toshiba Tecra 700CT.  I've compiled a 2.2.12
> kernel and the PCMCIA modules using kernel package.  The system seems to
> work fine, except it no longer recognizes my PCMCIA card modem.  When I
> insert the card I get a low beep than a high beep and it loads the
> memory_cs module (instead of the serial_cs module).  When I check
> /var/run/stab the card is identified as "Anonymous Memory."  I've added
> an entry for the modem in /etc/pcmcia/config and it doesn't help.  The
> modem is a Megahertz XJ2288 V.34 Fax Modem.
>
> What I did to install the PCMCIA support was:
> download pcmcia-cs.tar.gz to /usr/src
> unpack it -- automatically unpacks in /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs
> after making the kernal image, used make-kpkg [revision name]
> modules_image
> after moving the modules from the previous kernel to a different
> directory, installed the pcmcia-modules .deb

I had a similar problem, and I found this bit in section 4.4 of the
PCMCIA-Howto:

   If you configure your kernel to load the basic Linux serial port
   driver as a module, you must edit /etc/pcmcia/config to indicate that
   this module must be loaded. Edit the serial device entry to read:
	 device "serial_cs"
	   class "serial" module "misc/serial", "serial_cs

Making those changes did the trick.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer