Re: crontab

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Pollywog wrote:

 :
 : On 18-Oct-99 Nathan E Norman wrote:
 : > On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, T.V.Gnanasekaran wrote:
 : >
 : >  : how do i run a program every 10 minutes?
 : >  : -gnana
 : >
 : > Use cron.  RTFM `man crontab' to get the details.
 : >
 : > Since most people hate being told to RTFM (why?), here's the easy way
 : > out:
 :
 : Because some man pages are short on examples and it often helps to see
 : examples.  Sometimes the explanations given are of little help to newbies.

<flame=off>

.. hence the example I provided.

I do see that I didn't provide an accurate RTFM reference - I should
have said RTFM `man 5 crontab' (which provides plenty of good
examples.)

If you find documentation that is incomplete, inaccurate, or just plain
sucks, file a bug report, preferably with a patch that provides better
documentation (if you don't do it, who will?)

Finally, there is a difference between being told "I found all the
answers here, so RTFM", and "You are stupid.  RTFM".  I hope my message
didn't read as the latter - I have noted responses from others on this
list that do.  The former response is reasonable, especially since most
people are busy.  It's also nice to be able to "teach someone to fish",
as the saying goes.  The latter response is uncalled for and should be
avoided.

</flame>

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD