Re: modprobe errors return

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> Those odd modprobe errors have returned after I did an apt upgrade today.
>
> Oct 18 21:43:46 lilypad modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.dep
> Oct 18 21:43:53 lilypad insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.dep
> Oct 18 21:43:53 lilypad insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.dep
> Oct 18 21:44:40 lilypad modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.dep
>
> Could it be a problem with a package?

modprobe relies on the info stored in /etc/modules.conf and
/lib/modules/(kernelversion)/modules.deb, the later is generated by depmod
out of the infos found in /etc/modules.conf and the modules itself.
/etc/modules.conf is itself generated by the files stored in
/etc/modutils/ with update-modules command (this is debian specific -
AFAIK)

What happened was (as I gues) the folowing:

apt-get upgraded an package, which it self added some information to the
directory /etc/modutils and ran an update-modules but forgot (perhaps
becaus it is not important ... not all of the information stored in
/etc/modules.conf is used to generate /lib/modules/2.2.12/modules.deb) to
run a debmod ... modprobe only notes this fact.

By the way, at every boottime a depmod is executet (perhaps you have seen
the 'Updating modules...' message at boottime.

If you get ever again such an message (and want to get rid of it) just run

   depmod -a

as root.

Hop that clears the things a bit.

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de