Re: booting from SCSI

Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> Is there a way to boot off a SCSI disk (/dev/sda2 is my root
> partition) if there is also an IDE disk (/dev/hda[1-5] are present) ?

All you need is just to install lilo.
I have an IDE and a SCSI disk having NT and Linux; I put Linux on the
SCSI disk and write lilo on the IDE disk. (When I did that I knew that
it was pretty risky, but it worked fine.)

If your lilo doesn't work properly, just use a floppy to boot. What you
need to do is to copy your current kernel (of course, this assuming that
your Linux already runs) and use rdev to let the kernel know where the
root partition resides:
dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/sda2
rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

then reboot the machine.

> The ide disk does not have bootable partitions but it has lilo on it
> because I can't get the system to boot off the scsi disk directly.
>
> Also, inserting/removing an IDE removable hd confuses LILO.

I believe that you have to reinstal lilo if you removing/adding disks.

Oki