Re: playing MP3s with xmms

Hello!

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 07:06:37PM -0400, Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I have SoundBlaster PCI128 sound card for which I have configured sound
> support into the kernel (2.2.12) as follows:

Have the same card here.

>   CONFIG_SOUND=y
>   CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370=y
>   CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370_JOYPORT_BOOT=y

That sounds right.

> This is good enough to let me play audio CDs. But when I tried to play some
> MP3s with xmms, I kept getting error messages about the sound card being
> locked or in use by some other app.

Can you play audio with other apps? Like splay?

Did you make the devices for the card?

You can do it like this:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV audio

> Do I need the Alsa drivers ??
I tried them, but their support for these cards isn't very good, I had to
switch back to the kernel drivers.

Have a good weekend,

Alexis Maldonado
Engineering College