Re: Mutt and From: line in mail

markzimm@rmi.net (markzimm@rmi.net) wrote:

> There must be something I misunderstand, then. I put the following into
> .muttrc:
>
> my_hdr From: Mark Zimmerman <markzimm@rmi.net>

Is it possible that your upstream SMTP server is rewriting the header
line?  Looking at the Received: headers on your message, there's an
intermediate step (chevalier.rmi.net) between your system and kellnet.com

If you're saving copies of your outgoing message (highly recommended),
then check to see whether mutt changed the header before sending it.
(I suspect that mutt is not the problem....)

If you can't figure out anything locally, you might want to try manually
sending a message through your upstream SMTP server using telnet.
Like so:

  telnet chevalier.rmi.net 25
  helo some.host.name
  mail from:<markzimm@rmi.net>