Re: Mutt and From: line in mail

markzimm@rmi.net (markzimm@rmi.net) wrote:

> > I can't find anything in my muttrc that would account for this. I also
> > somehow doubt that qmail is rewriting a MUA-generated line (but I could
> > be wrong).

It definitely should not.  I use mutt and qmail, and my From: line
(generated by my_hdr in ~/.muttrc) is left intact.

> If you set the MAILUSER and MAILHOST environment variables, qmail rewrites
> the from line as $MAILUSER@$MAILHOST.

Only in the absence of an MUA-supplied header line.  From qmail-header(5):

  SENDER ADDRESSES
       qmail-inject looks for sender address lists in the follow­
       ing fields: Sender, From, Reply-To,  Return-Path,  Return-
       Receipt-To, Errors-To, Resent-Sender, Resent-From, Resent-
       Reply-To.

       If there is no From field, qmail-inject adds  a  new  From
       field with the name of the user invoking qmail-inject.

Also, I prefer the QMAIL* variables:

       The  user  name  in  the  From  header  field  is  set  by
       QMAILUSER, MAILUSER, USER,  or  LOGNAME,  whichever  comes
       first.

       The  host  name is normally set by the defaulthost control
       but can be overridden with QMAILHOST or MAILHOST.

> This is usually a good thing for
> machines on dial-up connections so that it looks like your mail came from
> your account at your ISP.

That's exactly what I use it for. :-)

Also note that you can set the *envelope* sender with environment
variables, so that bounce messages will go to your ISP mailbox:

       The default envelope sender address is  the  same  as  the
       default From address, but it can be overridden with QMAIL­
       SUSER and QMAILSHOST.  It may also be modified  by  the  r
       and  m  letters  described below.  Bounces will be sent to
       this address.

I cannot emphasize this strongly enough.  If you have to set your From:
header for any reason, you should make the envelope sender match.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.