Mail refusing to leave my machine

I have two ISPs: Demon and Freeserve. In the last week it has become
almost impossible to send out mail (I'm sending this from a different
machine which seems to work). It's been slow at times in the past but
this is ridiculous.

I'm using Slink with smail. I've RTFMd till I'm dizzy and have fiddled
with /etc/resolv.conf for hours; sometimes it seems to work perfectly
but then it blocks again for hours and hours. What I find really odd is
that it can start and stop working without my having changed anything.

Messages in /var/spool/smail show "server unreachable"; "connection
refused".

Receiving mail, reading news, accessing websites are all fine.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I install qmail or
exim perhaps?

Here is my /etc/resolv.conf in case this sheds any light.

#demon nameservers
nameserver  158.152.1.58
nameserver  158.152.1.43

#freeserve nameservers

nameserver 195.92.193.94
nameserver 195.92.193.95
nameserver 195.92.193.212
nameserver 195.92.193.210

Can anyone suggest what to try next?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux - Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)