Re: Any way to install modconf on current potato?

Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Is there any way to get modconf to install on the current release of
> potato? Failing that, what are the necessary commands at the console to:
> 1) See what modules my kernel is compiled to support (I know what they
> are, just not the module names - they were never mentioned in make
> xconfig)
> 2) See the help on a module's parameter format
> 3) Attempt to add a module into the running kernel with a given set of
> parameters
> 4) Set things up so that the module I just added will be added next time
> I boot as well
>
> On a related note, I can't seem to get gnome-apt to install either - it
> wants an unavailable version of libapt-pkg2.5. Any ideas on this one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart.
>
> --

Stuart,

The modconf problem (as with ae, newt and whiptail) stems from an upgraded slang -
the other progs are yet to be updated to work with the new slang.  The only way to
get them to work again is to downgrade slang to an older version, if you have one
kicking around - the slink one might work but I don't know if it's too early a
version (haven't tried).

You can browse the modules compiled in

/lib/modules/(kernel version)/

The files in dirs there (e.g. misc, scsi, net etc) are the modules that can be loaded
by listing in /etc/modules.  Adding modules here causes them to load at next boot.  I
actually prefer to add modules manually to /etc/modules as I find modutils sometimes
destroys little additions I have made to the module options file (see below...),
specifically one which loads a soundbank into my Awe64.

Module loading options can be defined in /etc/conf.modules <- this changed to the
more logical modules.conf with the recent (last night?) modutils update to potato.
Additions like (eg for an SB AWE32/64)

options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
options opl3 io=0x388
etc

To get help on a module's parameters, you want to be reading the files in the
Documentation folder of a Kernel source - if you don't have a kernel source in
/usr/src/linux (do you roll your own?), Debian allows you to install documentation
e.g. with the package

kernel-doc-2.2.12 (there are other versions also)

I can't help you with the gnome-apt issue though.

Jonathan.