Any way to install modconf on current potato?

Is there any way to get modconf to install on the current release of
potato? Failing that, what are the necessary commands at the console to:
1) See what modules my kernel is compiled to support (I know what they
are, just not the module names - they were never mentioned in make
xconfig)
2) See the help on a module's parameter format
3) Attempt to add a module into the running kernel with a given set of
parameters
4) Set things up so that the module I just added will be added next time
I boot as well

On a related note, I can't seem to get gnome-apt to install either - it
wants an unavailable version of libapt-pkg2.5. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Stuart.