swap quotas?

Is it possible to limit certain apps to limited amount of swap?  This
morning I sit down at my machine to find that something ate all my swap
which then proceeded to crash lots of daemons and my X session.  I don't
know what was the culprit but I wouldn't be supprised if it was
netscape.  I could care less if netscape crashes from lack of swap but I
don't really like having my xsession shutdown and all of my remote jobs
terminated and leaving my system in basically unusable state.

Btw, my setup is slink with lots of slink compiled potato packages, 256M
memory and two swap partitions of 149M and 128M swap.  Hmmm, I have some
free disk space (already formated) that I could add some swap files to.
Is there some daemon that could turn these on as swap gets full?  I
don't want these active at all times since they will be slow.  I'll see
what google finds on this.

Thanks,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.