Postscript Merging & Dial-in PPP Access

I'm trying to get a couple of things running for a
client here.  I need the system to be able to do two
things :-

1) Merge two postcript files.  I'm trying to run a
small script that converts the text output from
another program into Postscript, and then merge that
file with a previously createed postscript file.

Here's the script segment that does these things :-

----------- Begin Script Segment ------------------
for $source.*
do
 cat "$file" | enscript -p/tmp/outfile.ps -R -B
 cat /u/psback.ps /tmp/outfile.ps | lpr -PHPLaser
done
------------ End Script Segment -------------------

The HP Laser is a fully postscript capable printer, I
can print both files seperately, and the files are
able to merge print on a SCO box, but under linux the
files seem to not want to merge.

psback.ps is a background image that is needed
"behind" every page printed.

source.* is a collection of single pages (organised
through another section of the script, quite simple
really).

Comments about this will be greatly appreciated.  All
help useful.

2) Dial-in PPP Access.  Before people start screaming
at me to read the manuals, I suggest they also look in
the documentation.  The current documentation is not
detailed enough for me to get the system to work.  I
can setup shell access using mgetty, but as soon as I
try and setup a pppd to run, it kills the connection
complaining about the lock files.

Any help here needed!  How-to files, please paste into
your reply all relevant sections, as the online
HOWTO's, and the local howto's onsite are not up to
the task.

BTW - I'm not on the mailing list (I don't have time
to sort through heaps of mail everyday).  Please post
all replies direct to me.

Regards,

       Peter Ludwig