Modem's and video cards for linux

i am planning on buying a new computer soon, which is supposed to run
mainly on linux (Debian). The problem is, no sales person seems to know
what hardware is windows dependent and what not.
As far as i know the main problem is with modems and video cards.
How can i recognise one that will work under linux.
Any recomendations for video and modems?
The only modem they could offer me which is shure to work is US robotics
which is a bit expensive.
The video card i was offered (since I static image handling mainly, and
not video), is ATI xpert 8 meg AGP, How is it for linux?
Also, should there be any problem with sound cards, if so, how do I
recognise one that will work.
(I wasn't shure if the fact that designed for windows doesn't appear on
the box is enough)
Thanx
michf@math.tau.ac.il