Re: Modem's and video cards for linux

> i am planning on buying a new computer soon, which is supposed to run
> mainly on linux (Debian). The problem is, no sales person seems to know
> what hardware is windows dependent and what not.
> As far as i know the main problem is with modems and video cards.
> How can i recognise one that will work under linux.

For video cards, a good place to look would be the XFree86 web site - they
have a list of the cards supported, and which XServer supports which card.

Just be aware, though, that Debian 2.1 is outdated, and doesn't support
all the latest video hardware.

> Any recomendations for video and modems?
> The only modem they could offer me which is shure to work is US robotics
> which is a bit expensive.

As a general rule, external modems will _always_ work.

> The video card i was offered (since I static image handling mainly, and
> not video), is ATI xpert 8 meg AGP, How is it for linux?

I've heard it works, but I haven't a clue about how well it works.

> Also, should there be any problem with sound cards, if so, how do I
> recognise one that will work.

Almost all will - try to avoid the Sound Blaster Live, and you should be
OK.

> (I wasn't shure if the fact that designed for windows doesn't appear on
> the box is enough)

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein