Re: wu-ftpd vs proftpd vs ftpd

Ron Farrer <rbf@toxic.magnesium.net> writes:

> wu-ftpd 2.5.0-4
> proftpd 1.2.0pre7-3
> ftpd 0.11-4
>
> Which one of them is better? I don't want something that is going to puke
> on large files. Something that has lots of features to play with would be
> nice. User and anonymous ftp access is required.

This has been a point of contention for many months; I don't think
anyone can answer you question fully for you -- search the debian
mailing lists, or search Usenet (e.g. at deja.com) if you want to read
all the various pros and cons.

My personal advice is don't use (any of the) wu-ftpd or proftpd
versions unless you actaully need to do virtual hosting (support
different ftp archives at different internet host addresses on the
same machine).  The simple ftpd is likely a lot more secure, and
definitely a lot less complex.  They all allow you to provide user and
anonymous ftp access.