replacing debs with locally compiled packages

This one's a quickie.  Seems to me that if I want to replace a package
I've already installed with the distro (slink) with my own build of the
source, I should just be able to remove (w/o purging configs) the package
using dselect/dpkg and then go ahead and install my own build.

Is there any possibility for hosing myself with this method?  For example,
right now I want to replace my Enlightenment 0.15 with the 0.16 source.
I'm expecting to be able to just remove the old package and install the
new one by hand.  Nothing wrong with this, right?  I've done this before
with some smaller packages but never with anything as significant as a
window manager.

TIA.