Re: how do i NAT a legacy network ?

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 09:19:37AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> Brian May wrote:
> > This is what I would do. The only possible problem I can imagine is
> > if you try to connect to the Internet host that really does have the
> > address 95.x.x.x (you would get the host on the local network instead).
>
> I think you'd get lucky if your ISP has proxy servers; in a nat'd
> networks, the hosts might not be able to access the ISP's dns servers,
> but due to the proxy servers, dns lookups are done by the servers. So, I
> think, as long as you access the web via proxies and you put domain
> names
> instead of IP numbers in your URL's, you can happily using the web as
> usual even if you are in a legacy network (which has "illegal" IP
> numbers, which I think it would be okay because it works and wouldn't
> hurt anybody).

In this case, IP address could be used too, just as long as
1) You always use the proxy server and
2) You localhost doesn't attempt to translate the IP address into a FQDN.
2) The proxy server can't see your "illegal" 95.x.x.x network, but
packets for 95.x.x.x go to the correct host on the Internet.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>