Re: nfs boot off of a kernel on a floppy

Brian May wrote:
> You have to be careful with /lib, /bin, and /sbin, as files in these
> directories are required on boot...

Yes, and the important thing is to find the required files on boot (eg:
/sbin/mount, /sbin/init, /sbin/getty, etc...) and then put them in the
client's respective "system directories" (/tftpboot/x.x.x.x/...).

> My diskless package (latest version 0.3.2) mounts /etc from a NFS
> server, but this cannot be shared with other clients.

If you don't want to use NIS and still want to share the
username/password on each client, you can mount the server's /etc as
/server_etc on the clients, and then create links for the /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow.

I'm not sure whether this is the correct way of doing things seen from
administrators' point of view (ie: regarding security matters). But
since it works and the network is not connected to the Internet...

Why is there so little documentation regarding NIS on the Linux dist.
CDs..?

Oki

--
Without the kernel, your system would stop.

         http://www.cnet.com/Resources/Info/Glossary/Terms/kernel.html