Re: nfs boot off of a kernel on a floppy

In article <[🔎] 37FAF12F.EE569AA3@haltek.telkom.net.id> you write:
>If you'd like to save some spaces, you can select several directories to
>be exported. Of course, the server and the clients have to be running
>the same version of the OS. If I remember correctly, /lib, /bin, /sbin,
>/usr can be exported safely.

You have to be careful with /lib, /bin, and /sbin, as files in these
directories are required on boot...

My diskless package (latest version 0.3.2) mounts /etc from a NFS
server, but this cannot be shared with other clients.

>Selecting directories that can be exported is a bit tricky, so I think
>the easisest way is to instal a "new system" on the server machine.
>Since bootp would boot from /tftpboot/x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the IP
>number you assign for the client machine; defined in /etc/bootptab),
>just create x.x.x.x directory in /tftpboot, then export it (in
>/etc/exports). On the other machine, mount that directory somewhere, and
>then install a new system using the mount point as the root directory.

I use a symlink from /tftpboot/x.x.x.x to /the/real/dir. In fact,
I do not even need /tftpboot/x.x.x.x in my exports file! All that
is required is an entry for /the/real/dir. Weird.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>