De: Brian Servis [mailto:servis@purdue.edu]
Enviado el: viernes 10 de septiembre de 1999 1:00
Para: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: recipient list not shown; @lists.debian.org@rhodae
Asunto: nfs boot off of a kernel on a floppy

I just need a few pointers to docs and such.

I am wanting to steal my wifes CPU for some number crunching and don't
really want to install linux on her machine.  I would like to use NFS
root booting to accomplish this.  My ultimate goal is to have a floppy
with an appropriate kernel on it that I can stick in the machine and
reboot the machine grabbing everything via nfs off my Linux box.  I am
reading the NFS-HOWTO, the NFS-Root Mini-HOWTO and the NFS-Root-Client
Mini-HOWTO.  Any other docs I should look at?

I am running slink with a slew of 'apt-get --compile source' packages
from potato with kernel 2.2.12.  Should I use the kernel NFS server or
the userland server.  What about the difference between dhcp, bootp and
rarp? I don't have a boot rom on the client so I am not sure how that
affects anything yet.

I have never worked with NFS before so I am totally in the dark.

Thanks for any input,

--
Brian