Re: bootpd: ioctl SIOCSARP: invalid argument

Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:

>         I am trying to set up a boot server in order to boot and install
> debian-ppc in a 43P I have here, but I am failing miserably to set up

Hi, a bit off topic here. Does that machine have PCI bus inside...? What
kind of bus that 42T has? MCA? I'm looking forward to install Linux on
PPC machines, I'm just wondering whether Debian is installable on 42Ts.

> bootpd. I've never set one of these before. And it is saying:
>
>         ioctl SIOCSARP: Invalid argument
>
>         Anyone has an Idea of what is happening?

I'm not sure what the problem was, but I think some comments on your
entries in  bootptab would be useful.

>         This kernel is compiled with RARP suport, I have an entry in
> my /etc/hosts with the name and adress of the host Im trying to configure,

Shouldn't it be in /etc/bootptab...?

> davinci:tc=.default:ha=08005afc63b4:bf=bootprep.bin
>
> and the .default entry has
>
> :hn:dn="colband.com.br":td=/boot-ppc:ds=dns:to=auto:

If you set td to /boot-ppc, make sure that your inetd.conf has "in.tftpd
/boot-ppc" in it.

My dn entry doesn't have the quotes, and since it
works, I think you should remove the quotes too. You need to add ip and
hd entries; ip is the ip number which the ha will be mapped, and hd is
the directory which will be mounted by nfs-root (actually the whole
path: /boot-ppc/x.x.x.x). And because you have changed tftpd's default
directory to /boot-ppc, you'd need to change the kernel's source codes
that has "/tftpboot" in it to "/boot-ppc" so that the kernel (which is
supposed to be put on a floppy) will try to mount /boot-ppc/x.x.x.x as
the nfs-root directory; instead of /tftpboot/x.x.x.x which is the
default.

BTW, you'd find bootptest be useful for testing your bootpd setup; just
create a machine (just like davinci above) entry in bootptab and then
run bootptest on davinci. If the setup is correct, you'd get an answer
that says davinci's IP is this and its Ether address is that.

Oki