Re: Three questions

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 brian.ross@anu.edu.au wrote:

 : I was under the _impression_ that people in the Linux community were
 : supposed to be helpful.  Obviously I was mistaken.

[ snip more of the same ]

 : I don't want a long, indepth, very indirect discussion of how to manage
 : a network or ethernet connect.  I want clear, distinct EXAMPLES.
 :
 : Now, little boy, pull your socks up.  If you're not willing to help then
 : it might be better for you to remain silent, rather than remove any
 : doubt in my mind that you're a fool.

Oh, I'm sure such an outstanding attitude will win you all sorts of
friends.

Nevertheless, you might care to pass an "ether=" line at boot.  Try it
by hand first to make sure you get it right - you will need to know the
IRQ and base IO for your cards.  (I assume they're of the same type; I
deleted your original post already).

I'll assume you know how to get to a boot prompt.  On my machine with
two 3Com 3C509 ISA cards I enter:

  linux ether=11,0x2e0,eth1 ether=10,0x300,eth0

Once booted you should be able to configure eth1 (look at
/etc/init.d/network to see how it's done).  Once you're sure
you've got the ether line right, add a line to /etc/lilo.conf:

  append="ether=11,0x2e0,eth1 ether=10,0x300,eth0"

Don't forget to re-run LILO.

If you find my references to examining other bits of the system to find
out how it's done "smart-arse", then I respectfully submit that Linux is
not for you.

Find me a commercial UNIX (or any software) that provides free support
and also sets it all up for you.  Linux comes the closest.  Don't
forget, the people on this list volunteer their time; they don't have to
help you.  If you feel someone isn't answering your question, attacking
them may not be overly productive, eh?

Have a nice day,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD