Re: Three questions

*- On  8 Oct, brian.ross@anu.edu.au wrote about "Re: Three questions"
> I was under the _impression_ that people in the Linux community were
> supposed to be helpful.  Obviously I was mistaken.
>
> I asked some very specific questions, I hoped to get some helpful
> answers.  Obviously I was mistaken to even bother if I was to simply be
> directed to a Howto file.
>
> The poor quality of documentation, such as these "how tos" is one of the
> reasons why I recommend when ever I am asked whether a site should move
> to linux to recommend that they don't.  They are far better off with a
> proprietory WELL SUPPORTED form of unix, even if it costs considerably
> more.  That way they won't get a smart arse answer like this when they
> ask a direct question.
>
> I don't want a long, indepth, very indirect discussion of how to manage
> a network or ethernet connect.  I want clear, distinct EXAMPLES.

Here are some clear, distinct examples from the howto's that were
mentioned.

>From the Ethernet HOWTO:

  3.2.  Using More than one Ethernet Card per Machine

  What needs to be done so that Linux can run two ethernet cards?

  With the Driver as a Module: Most linux distributions use modular
  drivers now (as opposed to having the driver built into the kernel).
[snip]

  As an example, consider a user that has two ISA NE2000 cards, one at
  0x300 and one at 0x240 and what lines they would have in their
  /etc/conf.modules file:

          alias eth0 ne
          alias eth1 ne
          options ne io=0x240,0x300

[snip]
  As a final example, consider a user with one 3c503 card at 0x350and
  one SMC Elite16 (wd8013) card at 0x280.  They would have:

          alias eth0 wd
          alias eth1 3c503
          options wd io=0x280
          options 3c503 io=0x350

[snip]

  With the Driver Compiled into the Kernel: If you have the driver
  compiled into the kernel, then the hooks for multiple ethercards are
  all there.  However, note that at the moment only one ethercard is
  auto-probed for by default.  This helps to avoid possible boot time
  hangs caused by probing sensitive cards.
[snip]

      LILO: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x280,eth1

>From the NET-3 HOWTO:

  5.7.  Routing.
[snip]
  The first step is to configure the interface as described earlier. You
  would use a command like:

       # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
[snip]
  You now need to add an entry into the routing table to tell the kernel
  that datagrams for all hosts with addresses that match 192.168.1.*
  should be sent to the ethernet device. You would use a command similar
  to:

       # route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
[snip]

  used instead of the default route. The idea of the default route is
  simply to enable you to say "and everything else should go here". In
  the example I've contrived you would use an entry like:

       # route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0
[snip]
  Let's now look at a slightly more complicated routing configuration.
  Let's imagine we are configuring the router we looked at earlier, the
  one supporting the PPP link to the Internet and the lan segments
  feeding the workstations in the office. Lets imagine the router has
  three ethernet segments and one PPP link. Our routing configuration
  would look something like:

       # route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
       # route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth1
       # route add -net 192.168.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth2
       # route add default ppp0

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you