Re: HELP: getting rid of replace kernel-image-2.2.12 conflict...

lexchive@iname.com writes:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 11:06:16PM +0200, Jean-Yves BARBIER wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:46:22PM +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> >
> > Instead of traditionnal compilation, use 'make-kpkg', which will build
> > a package from your new kernel; install this package, dselect should
> > not complain any more.
> >

> Well I did the make-kpkg but apt-get dist-upgrade tried to 'upgrade' it, so i
> put it on hold. Any step I missed? the make-kpkg was made on another comp but
> I suppose it has nothing to do.

The kernel-package readme file explains how to prevent that, near the end
of a lengthy discussion under "Versions and revisions":

  So, try using an epoch for your custom packages:
    $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image
        (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
        sudo are examples that come to mind).

The trick is that "3:custom.whatever" will "always" be higher than
any debian-provided kernel package, so apt and dselect won't try
to upgrade it for you.